Fear. Terror. Dread. Anxiety. Worry. Concern. Apprehension.
Fear is an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat.
Anxiety is all around us. Many of us battle with this relentless feeling.
I struggled with anxiety for most of my life. Anxiety is a hopeless emotion. Most the time I could not even figure out what was causing the emotion. This crippling feeling prevented me from living in hope. There were good days, and then there were the days that I felt like I was going completely CRAZY. I had days I thought my anxiety would be the death of me. Hopeless and broken I searched for anything that would make this feeling subside. I was prescribed drugs that just medicated the real problem. They covered the pain for a while, until my anxiety came back even worse. The medicine was just a Band-Aid on the real wound-my heart.
After I got to know Jesus, the anxiety was just gone. It was a miracle.
I struggled with anxiety for so long I thought it was part of me, and He just took it away. Hope and light pushed out the fear and anxiety. I do not have anxiety everyday anymore. I do not live in the constant state of fear.
But I still have my moments of weakness. And that is why I am writing this today. Too many of us battle this overwhelming feeling. I have moments when I obsess or worry about circumstances. I fall back in my old human ways and I have to check my heart and my head.
We are called to walk in His spirit of Love. So why does this seem so hard sometimes? Why do we go back to our old nature? Why do we have moments of anxiety and fear?
What do we do when anxiety comes upon us?
- -Remember. I remind myself I am only human. He died because I am a sinner. If I try to be perfect then why did God send His son to die for me? We live in a broken world, this is not our home. Jesus died to set us free from sin. So when I feel like this I need to RUN to Him.
- Reflect. The bible tells us we are going to have trials and tribulations. 1 Peter 4:12 Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. Anxiety and fear are tools of the enemy. Just knowing this can give me peace, because we already have the victory. I need to reflect on why I am worried. Is there anything I can do about the way I am feeling? Or is there something I did to cause this feeling (sin)? In most cases, I am anxious over something I have NO control over.
- Confess. Words are powerful. Speaking words into your life can be life changing. I need to open my mouth and speak. Speak them out of your mouth and sow them into your heart. It is not by your own power but by the power of His Spirit. Speaking words into life can change everything. His word is powerful. So let’s be people who speak VICTORY.
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. – Hebrews 4:12
Feeling anxious? Feeling fearful? Speak these scriptures into your life. These scriptures will conquer your anxiety.
- I will fear no evil, for you are with me, you are my comfort. Psalm 23:4
- The Lord is my light and salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is my sanctuary, of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1
- The Lord is with me, I shall not be afraid. With the Lord on my side what can man do to me? –Psalm 118:6
- God gave me a spirit of LOVE not fear. 2 Timothy 1:7
- I can be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid because of them, for the Lord my God goes with me, He will never leave or forsake me. Deuteronomy 31:6
- When I am afraid, I will trust The Lord. In God I trust. I will not be afraid. Psalm 56:3-4.
- Do not fear, for God is with me. Do not be dismayed for He is my God. He will strengthen me and help me. He will uphold me with his righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10
- My Lord takes hold of my right hand and says “Do not fear; I will help you. “ Isaiah 41:13
- For I did not receive a spirit that makes me a slave again to fear, but I received The Spirit of sonship. And by him I cry, “Abba, Father.” Romans 8:15
- I will be on guard; I will stand firm in faith; I will be a women of courage; I will be strong. 1 Corinthians 16:13
- Who is going to harm me if I am eager to do good? Even if I should suffer for what is right, I will be blessed. I will not fear what they fear, I will not be frightened. Hebrews 13: 5-6
- There is NO fear in love. Perfect love drives out fear because fear has to do with punishment. His perfect love casts out my fear. 1 John 4:18
- I will not be anxious about anything, but in everything I will pray with thanksgiving and let my requests be made known to God. Philippians 4:6
There is one beautiful thing about the battle you are in right now. This battle can draw you closer to your heavenly father. The enemy uses it for evil, but God can use it for good. Run to His comfort. Run to His peace. Rest in His promise.
Moreover [let us also be full of joy now!] let us exult and triumph in our troubles and rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that pressure and affliction and hardship produce patient and unswerving endurance. Romans 5:3 Amplified Bible (AMP)